Design for Armchair/Shotgun!
Graphic & Book Designer Wanted
Armchair/Shotgun is seeking a graphic and book designer to assist in the design, layout, and production of a Brooklyn-based literary magazine which twice yearly publishes (on paper!) exemplary new fiction, poetry, and visual arts.
– Layout of 150-page literary magazine twice yearly, including typesetting, cover design, and interior design elements consistent with existing design template and style.
– Design of supplementary materials such as posters, promo cards, etc.
– Coordination with printer on specs and prepress; approval of printer’s proofs.
– Assistance with coordination of visual arts.
– Strong working knowledge of typography and book design.
– Fluency in Adobe InDesign CS3 or above.
– Fluency in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator CS3 or above.
– Strong working knowledge of prepress color management and file management.
– Strong skills in prepress preparation of visual material (color and file standards).
An ideal candidate will also have these qualifications:
– Commitment to building community by finding, publishing, and getting to know emerging artists and writers.
– Interest in and knowledge of photography, painting, drawing, and multi-media.
– Flexible schedule (workload is heavy for 6-8 weeks at a time twice a year, occasional at other times).
Location: Tri-state area, preferably New York City. The designer will work from home on his or her own schedule, but should be able to attend occasional evening and weekend meetings in Brooklyn and Manhattan.
Compensation: This is an unpaid position as a member of an all-volunteer magazine staff.
Timeframe: Immediate. Designer will begin coordinating with current designer as soon as possible and assume primary responsibilities in August 2010.
Please send a cover letter and work samples (as files or links) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Work will be reviewed on a rolling basis until we find the right person.